Demon's Souls

Category: , By From Software
http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/demons-souls/

So this game comes out in about a week. I'm a pretty big Kings Field fan. And when I say pretty big.. I mean really big. Probably in the top 10 Kings Field fans in the US. I know there are only 20 of us but........

I nearly bought a PS3 this week just to play this game(Ridge Racer 7 would be a decent bonus I guess). I just can't grasp what its all about though. Developed by From, published by Sony. It looks vaguely horror themed what with sort of twisted versions of classic fantasy beasts and some Lovecraftian looking horrors. Kings Field has battles vs large enemies but this game seems to borrow from the populariity of SOTC and moreso Monster Hunter in trying to bring big, directed boss fights to a Kings Field-ish game.

I want to believe this is like Kings Field but really two things make me think it won't be the case at all: 3rd person view and multiplayer. Both of those are sort of against the whole Kings Field experience I would say. Not that 3rd person wouldn't fix the problem with jumps being difficult in KF games sometimes. Playing with other people might be fun.

But the big thing is the difference that persistence brings to these games. What happens when you login to play with your buddies who are all level 99? You go grind for items over and over from a boss or area of the game? I dont know. KF is like a maze more than anything else, it is like Metroidvania in 3D but actually a challenge. Leveling up isnt all that important. Sure you might want to grind a few levels at points in the game to create a "cushion" for yourself or soften up difficult areas but you generally don't feel the need to do it unless you are really stuck. More about exploration and atmosphere I think.

Looking at the "area" section of the Japanese site I also notice what seems to be something possibly borrowed from Monster Hunter. It looks like there are a bunch of themed hub sort of areas. Little "mini-worlds" I guess I would call them. Broken-down old castle, creepy mines(always the worst part of KF games), sort of brick alchemy lab thing or possibly an old mansion and a factory type area are what I see on the site so far. Just looking through the pics it doesn't look all that varied, sort of a Diablo vibe I get from the whole thing. I dont know, it also appears that there are different classes or at the very least all your gear changes your appearance.

If Ninja Blade = Ninja Gaiden ripoff(Though totally insane looking one), then I guess this really is a ripoff of Monster Hunter. So is From Software just a really decent "copycat" game factory now?

Damn I really want a new Kings Field game.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?

ARCHIVES